Hernia Clinic Navi Mumbai
Hernia Surgeon in Navi Mumbai Dr Nitish Jhawar at our hernia clinic uses either flat or 3D mesh to bridge the hernia gap.
A hernia is a protrusion of an organ or tissue through an abnormal opening in the body. This can cause a painless lump in the abdomen/ groin or the pressure of tissue pushing its way through the weakened area.
- Laparoscopic Hernia repair
- Tension-free Hernia repair
- Standard Open repair
- TEP (Total Extraperitonial repair, key hole technique for inguinal hernia repair)
- TAPP (Trans Abdominal Pre Peritoneal repair)
- IPOM (Intra Peritonial Onlay Mesh, Dual mesh)
- Laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication for Hiatal Hernia/GERD
What are the Causes & Risk Factors of Hernia?
Hernias are usually caused by a combination of muscle weakness and strain.
Muscle weakness may be due to congenital defect, old age or after some surgery.
Increased pressure of the abdomen cavity such as in obesity, pregnancy, heavy weight lifting, straining during bowel movement or urination (constipation or enlarged prostrate), persistent coughing, sneezing.
What are some of the Symptoms of Hernia?
Small hernia may not be noticed by patients and often general surgeons find it during a routine physical check-up.
Hernia Symptoms vary from a painless lump to a painful, tender and swollen protrusion which is difficult to be pushed back into the abdomen
- A noticeable protrusion in the groin area, abdomen or scrotum : The bulge is usually painless, more obvious in the upright position OR on straining /coughing and disappears in the lying position or with gentle pressure.
- Abdominal pain while lifting objects, straining
- A dull aching sensation or mild discomfort
- A vague feeling of fullness
- Constipation & Urinary difficulties
Hernia is dangerous if it gets trapped in the weak spot in the abdominal wall (obstructed Hernia) and blood supply cut off (strangulated Hernia). Strangulated hernia is an emergency requiring surgery. It usually causes severe pain, redness and tenderness.
How to Diagnose Hernia?
- A surgeon through a simple physical examination usually diagnoses hernia. He can feel a hernia by placing a finger at the groin and asking the patient to cough (impulse on coughing).
- Different types of hernia can be identified by the sites of hernia location.
- A hernia that bulges out with abdominal pressure such as coughing but returns inside the body when the pressure is gone or with gentle pressure from the outside is reducible hernia.
- A Hernia that cannot be pushed back and remains outside is “irreducible” or incarcerated hernia.
- If bulging tissue loses blood flow it is strangulated hernia, patient may have unbearable pan and urinary or bowel obstruction.
- Ultrasonography, USG abdomen and CT scan abdomen is sometimes required.
Types of Hernia We Treat at our Center
- Inguinal hernia- mostly occur in Men
- Femoral hernia- female predominance
- Umbilical hernia- often noted at birth
- Incisional Hernia /Ventral Hernia
- Epigastric hernia
- Hiatal Hernia
- Complicated hernia such as Large hernia, Hernia in Obese, Recurrent hernia
What is the Treatment of Abdominal Hernia? Is Surgery Must?
There is no medical treatment and Surgery is the only treatment option for abdominal hernia. It is better to undergo surgery when it is uncomplicated. The possible complications include obstruction or strangulation which may be life threatening.
On the type & location of Hernia, your Hernia surgeon will decide the type of hernia repair surgery. The surgery involves pushing hernia content back inside and inserting a special strong ‘mesh’ for tension free hernia repair to cover the ‘defect’ and prevent the herniation. This surgery can be done by conventional surgery or Laparoscopically.
A person after a hernia surgery can live a healthy and active lifestyle without fear of complication of hernia.
What is Laparoscopic Hernia Repair?
Best hernia surgeons in Mumbai treat hernia by Laparoscopic hernia surgery. This surgery is minimally invasive and very cosmetic. The post-operative pain is significantly less, hospital stay is short and recovery is fast. Read More about Laparoscopic hernia Surgery.
Now you can get all these world-class facilities for Hernia repair under one roof of Fortis Hiranandani Hospital, Vashi, Navi Mumbai by best Hernia surgeons in Mumbai.