Colonoscopy / Sigmoidoscopy in Navi Mumbai
Colonoscopy, sigmoidoscopy and other endoscopy service are available at all our practice locations in Mumbai and Navi Mumbai. You can enquire preparation before colonoscopy test and cost at 9833290590
Colonoscopy is a procedure to examine and diagnose the condition of the large bowel (colon and rectum). It is an effective in screening for colorectal cancer, biopsy of malignant growths or polyp.
Flexible sigmoidoscopy is a endoscopic procedure to see inside of the sigmoid colon and rectum (lower part of large bowel). It can detect inflamed tissue, ulcers, abnormal growths, or signs of cancer.
Who should have a colonoscopy?
- Colonoscopy should be routinely as a part of cancer screening done in adults of 50 years of age or older.
- Those who have history of colon or rectal cancer in family members may have their colonoscopy at age 40.
Colonoscopy should be done in patients with any of the following issues-
- Unexplained abdominal symptoms
- Recent change of bowel habits
- Persistent diarrhea
- Iron deficiency Anaemia
- Bleeding from rectum or positive for blood in the stool
- Inflammatory bowel disease (colitis)
- Verify findings of polyps or tumors in barium enema exam
Bowel preparation before colonoscopy
The large intestine should be clear of faeces for adequate visualization. Medication and a low fiber diet for 3 days prior is advised:
Foods To take:
- Simple carbohydrates (white rice, white bread, potatoes)
Foods to Avoid:
- Fruits and vegetables including fresh fruit and vegetable juices
- Vegetable soup
- Red meat
- Milk products
- Cereals and grains e.g. oats, bran, wheat, muesli, barley nuts and beans.
Colorectal surgeon or Medical or Surgical Gastroenterologist usually perform Colonoscopy.
Patients is made to lie on their left side on an operation table. Light sedation medicine is given by intravenous route .
A long, flexible, lighted tube –colonoscope is inserted into the anus and slowly guided through the rectum and into the colon. Video image from inside of large bowel can be viewed on a monitor by a camera.
A doctor can remove polyps and can take biopsy of any abnormal tissues or growth found during colonoscopy. These are then sent for histpathological examination to check for colorectal cancer.
Colonoscopy procedure usually takes 20 to 30 minutes.
After the colonoscopy, patient may feel slight discomfort or bloating, which quickly improves.
Post procedure 1 to 2 hours stay be required in colorectal clinic. Most patients can resume their regular diet and routine activities the same day. Driving is not permitted for 12 hours after colonoscopy because of slight effect of sleep medicine.